QUALITY OF LIFE
In 2004, the British Columbia Real Estate Association and its member boards adopted an approach called Quality of Life. This approach guides VIREB’s policy work and reflects the commitment to community shared by REALTORS® throughout the province.
The goal of the Quality of Life approach is to recommend policies that will enable people to achieve what they value most: jobs, homes, and better communities. Basically, what’s good for the province is good for real estate.
The Five Principles
- Ensuring economic vitality: The key to our quality of life is a strong economy. A vibrant economy creates jobs, expands the tax base, and enhances and revitalizes communities.
- Preserving the environment: REALTORS® recognize one of the most important elements of our quality of life is the environment: clean air and water, parks, and open spaces.
- Protecting property owners: A strong economy depends on preserving the investment people have made in real estate by protecting the ability to own, use, buy, and sell real property.
- Building better communities: Better communities are created in partnership with governments to ensure safe neighbourhoods and sufficiently fund the infrastructure that forms the framework for a community’s quality of life.
- Providing housing opportunities: We all want a safe, decent, and affordable home near where we work, shop, and play. We must ensure an attainable supply of housing, including choices about design, cost, and location.